1. Invitation to reviewers will be sent to individuals who would be appropriate. As responses are received, further invitations are issued, if necessary, until the required number of acceptances is obtained – commonly this is two.
2. Response to Invitations, potential reviewers consider the invitation against their own expertise, conflicts of interest and availability. They then accept or decline. If possible, when declining, they might also suggest alternative reviewers.
3. When the review is conducted, the reviewer sets time aside to read the paper several times. The review is then submitted to the journal, with a recommendation to accept (with or without minor changes) or reject it.
4. Journal evaluates the Reviews
5. The decision, the editor sends a decision email to the author including any relevant reviewer comments.